Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Chapter 4.20 - Teenage Dream


“Skye? What are you doing here?”


“Hey. Um… you told me to come running back when it didn’t work out…”

He looked embarrassed. “Sorry about that. I was really upset, but I shouldn’t have said that.”



She shook her head. “You were right. I didn’t know him well enough, and we didn’t have enough in common. Not the things that mattered, anyway.”


“I’m still sorry. I’ve missed you.”


Seeing that look on his face almost made Skye start crying. “I’ve missed you too, you have no idea how much. I shifted on this last full moon, and I was with him instead of you, and he broke up with me because it scared him, and I just realized that you were right.”


“I’m sorry.”


“I was so blind- It wasn’t even about Anna, really, sorry, can I explain it to you?”

“You can tell me anything.”


“I know you think the obsession is about Anna, but it’s really about my dad.”



“I knew that. You’re the only one who didn’t.”


Skye snorted. “Of course I was. As we’ve established, I’m blind. Anyway, I always thought that my dad liked Anna, and if I was more like Anna, maybe he’d like me too. And then I realized… it doesn’t matter how much I’m like Anna, my dad wouldn’t even notice.”


Amos nodded.



“I still went out with Michael, because he was nice, and we did have some common interests, and I felt bad about why I liked him in the first place, but after I shifted I realized that wasn’t enough, and we couldn’t make each other happy.”


She hesitated for a moment before continuing. “The only person I feel like I’m really myself with is you.”


Amos’s eyes widened. “Skye… is this going where I think it’s going?”

She blushed and looked away. “Where do you think it’s going?”


“If you’re going to say you like me, let me have my say first, okay?”


She nodded.

“Skye Doe. When we met, I thought girls were gross, but you were different. As I got older, I realized that girls weren’t gross, but you were still the most special one. I’ve pictured us together since I understood the concept of romance. I always, always thought we would be together forever. When you said you liked someone else, it was heartbreaking, but it also made me step up to become the man you deserve. I hope I can show you the changes I’ve made for the better. So, Skye… will you go out with me?”


She grinned. “Of course I will! That was a beautiful speech, by the way. It was only lacking one thing.”


“What?”


“The kiss at the end.”



-------


Prom was everything Flora had pictured it would be.


She and Wren had food and punch.


They took photos in the photo booth.


They slow-danced together on the dance floor.


Neither of them won prom royalty, but they liked it better that way. Prom was just about the two of them.


And when prom was over, when she was ready to go, Wren held out his hand.


“I have one last surprise for you.”



While the rest of their graduating class went to the amusement park for their afterparty, Wren brought Flora to the nearby park. He stopped next to a familiar bench.


“Recognize this place?”


“How could I not? This is where we met again… where you asked me to be your girlfriend.”


He nodded. “It’s a special place for us. We’re graduating soon, and things will change after that, but the one thing I never want to change is you and me.”



Flora nodded. “We can change, but we’ll grow closer together. Trees that start growing together will grow more intertwined as time goes on.”


Wren nodded. “That’s why I want to make a commitment to you. I got us promise rings, and I want to use them to promise that whatever else changes, we stand strong together.”


He pulled out the rings, designed with intertwining strands of silver, just like the trees Flora had mentioned.



Flora was brought almost to tears by this gesture. “Yes! Let’s do it, let’s make that promise.”


He held her hand, and said, “I, Wren Grove, do solemnly vow my commitment to Flora Doe. No matter what changes, I will be here.” 


He slid the promise ring onto her hand.



Through her tears, Flora took his hand and repeated the same vow. “I, Flora Doe, do solemnly vow my commitment to Wren Grove. No matter what changes, I will be here.”


She slid his ring on and looked up at him, her eyes brimming with tears. “I love you.”


“I love you too.”


Author's Note: And that's it! The end of the generation! The heir poll will be up until Friday, September 27th. I'm gonna have it in two places this generation - you can vote on boolprop if you have an account there, or on my Wordpress site if you don't. I can't stop you from voting in both, but I would ask you politely to only vote once, on whichever platform you prefer. The Wordpress poll is here, and the boolprop poll is here. Go vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment