Monday, December 3, 2018

Becoming Nyx: Annalise

I was born Annalise Porter, only daughter and heir to Chance Porter, Bridgeport business mogul.
 My childhood was not normal by any measure. I was raised by a succession of combination nanny/bodyguards, and I rarely saw my father except for special occasions, when he had me dolled up and put on display for his business associates.


 My father was a very paranoid man. He always told me that it was the only way he had stayed alive with as many enemies as he had. He advised me to cultivate a healthy sense of paranoia. It was one of the only pieces of his advice I ever took.


It was certainly true that he had a lot of enemies, though. My father was a bad man.


A very, very bad man.


I was shielded from a lot of his actions as a child, but by the time I entered adolescence, my father expected me to start preparing to take over his business.


My introduction to the business began when he took me to get a tattoo. Every member of the gang had a tattoo of a dragon. Mine would be on the back of my neck. It was a permanent reminder of who I belonged to, and what he expected me to do.




I was alright with the stealing. To be completely honest, a part of me even liked the stealing. I had so little that was really my own. Everything that I had was my father’s, and he made sure that I never forgot it. The things I stole… they were mine. In a strange, twisted way I could even convince myself that I had earned them. If I could take it without anyone noticing, it was mine. Most of the people we were stealing from had more stuff than they knew what to do with anyway, so I could justify it to my conscience. He told me that the only thing I was ever good at was stealing. Maybe he was right.


Of course, I still felt guilty afterwards, and I wished I could return my ill-gotten gains to their rightful owners. I never did, though. I told myself that I needed it more than they did. Truthfully, though… I really just liked that it was mine.


I couldn’t ever bring myself to physically harm another person, though, and that made me a disappointment to my father.


For him, hurting people was a way of life.




Sometimes I wondered if he really thought he was helping me. He would often tell me, after I had failed him, that if I didn't make sure people knew I was strong in my own right, I would end up a Jane Doe in the morgue as soon as he wasn't there to protect me.


I wondered too if my life would have been different if I’d known my mother. I doubted it. By all reports, she and my father had a very… tumultuous relationship. She disappeared shortly after I was born. It was common knowledge that he had killed her, but they never found the body, so there was never an investigation.


By the time I was 15, I hated my life. I hated my father, his business, and especially his lackeys.


Some bowed to me…


 Some disdained me…


 And the worst of the lot hit on me.


I hated them all, until I met him.


Author's Note: And we're off! In case it isn't clear, this is the prologue to my legacy. It will be in three parts, then the actual legacy will begin.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, a new legacy, awesome! Did you post it in the RLC thread on MTS?

    I love the interesting angles you choose for the screenshots and how well you capture the sims’ expressions! Poor Annalise had such a rough upbringing :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading/commenting! I haven't posted it on MTS because I kept screwing up the registration thing, so it wouldn't let me register. I'll probably try again from my phone at some point, but for now I am account-less.

      I spend a lot of time trying to get the right angle with the tab key. I'm glad you like it! I felt bad for making Annalise suffer, but I felt like her rolls really required some sort of trauma. That could have just been my twisted brain, though.

      Delete
  2. Just started reading! It's already quite exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a new legacy and it already has more chapters than mine, haha. Lots to catch up, looking forward to it!
    And don't feel bad for making sims suffer, a good story needs drama! ... at least that's how I always justify my sims' torture.

    I read the prologue chapters now and I expected it to be about 3 different people from the titles but this is a lot cooler. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell myself the same thing. It's not a good story without some conflict, right?

      Thanks! I wanted to try to show how she became who she is. I hope you enjoy the rest!

      Delete