Monday, June 24, 2019

Chapter 3.6 - We Need to Talk


“I know I said I didn’t want to talk yet, but…”

“We’ve done a lot of not talking, so now you want to talk.”

Madeline grinned at him, a little playfully. “That’s about the sum of it, yeah.”


Alaric smiled back at her. “What exactly did you want to talk about?”


Her face grew serious. “I can’t stay with him anymore.”

“I know this sounds terrible, but I was hoping you’d say that.”

She laughed. “Of course you were. But seriously… Beckett and I don’t have anything in common, and it will honestly ruin both our lives if we stay together.”

“And what about us?”

“We have everything in common, and we’ll live our best lives together.”



“I couldn’t agree more. So we’ll tell him tomorrow?”

“We?”

“Don’t tell me you couldn’t use some moral support.”


She thought about it, then shrugged. “Alright. Wait, tomorrow?”


“It needs to happen as soon as possible. And honestly… you’ve been out all night. I think the cat is probably already out of the bag.”


She sighed. “I’ve made a mess of things, haven’t I? I should have just married you years ago. It would have solved so many problems.”


Alaric embraced her. “We should rectify that as soon as possible.”


She nodded, then pulled back. “Wait… did you just ask me to marry you?”

“As soon as your divorce is finalized, yes.”

Madeline laughed softly. “Okay.” Then she frowned. “Now we just have to tell Beckett.”

--------


“Madeline! I’ve been worried sick. Where have you been all night?”

When he saw who was following her, he frowned. “Alaric? What are you doing here?”

Madeline bit her lip, glancing at Alaric for support. “Beckett… we have something to tell you.”


Alaric reached out and took her hand. Beckett immediately focused in on their hands, then looked back up at their faces. “What’s… what’s going on?”


“I’m leaving you, Beckett. I’m sorry.”


“You’re leaving me… for him.”

She hesitated. “Yes.”



Beckett nodded slowly, seeming to take that in. “How long has this been going on?”


Madeline hedged. “Well… that’s a complicated question… I mean…”


“So, since high school.” He gave an ugly laugh. Then he quieted. “Jonah isn’t mine, is he.”

Madeline frowned. “Of course he’s yours!”

Beckett just shook his head. “You can’t really think I believe you. The kid looks just like him!”



“He looks a lot like you, too! It’s really just a coincidence.”


Beckett hadn’t stopped shaking his head. “Just go, Madeline. Take the kid with you. I don’t want anything left here to remind me of you and your affair.”


“You can’t mean that!”


He met her gaze, hate glowing in his eyes. “You don’t want him, do you? Fine. Consider it your punishment. But I will not have your child in my house. I’ll be back in an hour. By the time I walk in this door, you and all of your things had better be gone.”

He stalked out.

--------

An hour later, Madeline and Alaric had barely finished moving her belongings and her son into Alaric’s small house.

He frowned. “I know that there isn’t much space, but…”

She smiled at him. “It’s okay. We’ve got each other now. Everything will be alright.”

Author's Note: So, the Family Structure roll is... Step Children! As I'm sure everyone saw coming a mile away. And here's another thing: the entire reason for the whole Beckett/Madeline/Alaric love triangle was so I could have a Step Children roll where every child was eligible for heir. So, surprise! The first heir candidate for Generation 4 is Jonah! And don't worry, I plan to give him just as much plot as I give Alaric's biological children.

Also, while I'm revealing rolls, the Miscellaneous Fun is Live Your Trait. Alaric's chosen trait is Ambitious, so... I hope you can see that coming through. Next chapter: we finally see the last of this plotline... and Sunset Valley!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, the last of Sunset Valley? Now I'm intrigued. Can't wait to see where you move them.

    I'm also wondering what affect all this will have of Alaric's career... even though the split went pretty smoothly (as smoothly as it could, anyway) people are probably still gonna notice he's suddenly marrying his brother's ex-wife, right?

    Great chapter, as always! And hooray for Jonah being one of the potential heirs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be moving to Midnight Hollow, which should be fun. I was a little worried about the lighting, but I've played ahead (a lot, if I'm honest) and it seems to be fine.

      You will see about that next chapter.

      I couldn't just let that potential drama be squandered!

      Delete
  2. Oof, and I thought the McKracken soap opera was a mess. Poor Beckett :<

    Moving on from Sunset Valley? Where will the family end up? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. Soap opera drama at its best... or worst.

      Someplace a lot darker. I'm really looking forward to it!

      Delete
  3. I can see that Jonah looking more like his uncle than his father might lead to sims jumping to conclusions as well..

    Family structure roll.. KK, you totally blindsided me... I did not see that coming.

    Wait, when did Bennett become the dick and Alaric the (almost) nice guy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like the obvious direction to go with it. What's funny is that I had an entirely different plot in mind for him, but when he was born I just decided to work with what I'd been given.

      I (probably) wouldn't have gone to all that drama if it had just been a straight couple roll... but I really don't know, because I haven't had a couple roll so far. Two step children, a full house, and a second chance, but no couples.

      Alaric has always been a nice guy... when it suits his purposes. He's evil, but he's also charismatic. And Beckett has a very black and white sort of worldview. If you do something wrong, that means you're a bad person and he hates you. That's pretty much what happened here.

      Delete
  4. Dayum he moves quickly. And what a model brother; "Let's tell him tomorrow!" xD

    I like that his eagerness comes out in his actions rather than his words. It makes Alaric come off as mature and focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He goes for what he wants, you can definitely say that.

      He definitely cultivates that impression, and he certainly is focused. Mature? That's a little more questionable.

      Delete