Monday, January 21, 2019

Darlene and Sandi's Adventures in Bridgeport: Part 1


“Hello, Bridgeport!”

“Is that really necessary?”

“Always, Sandi. Always.”


“I'm regretting this already.”

“Come on! You can't just give up on this, or your mother wins!”

Sandi stopped. “I wish you weren't right.”

“I'm always right. Now come on, let's go see our apartment.”


When they finished hauling their luggage upstairs and finally got a good look at the apartment, Sandi groaned. “How did I let you talk me into this?”


“This was all that was available on our budget. It's not that bad, is it?”

“Darlene, it's only one room.”

“It's a studio! It's trendy!”


“It’s tiny.”

“We'll make it work.”

Sandi finally cracked a smile. “I guess we will.”

--------


“Do we have to do this?”

“Sandi, come on. It's our first night in Bridgeport. How could we not go clubbing?”

“I get it, but - what are you wearing?”


Darlene looked down, then did a little pose. “You like it?”

“Plumbob, no. Why would you ever wear something like that?”


“Hey, I like zebra print, and zebra print likes me.”


Sandi sighed, recognizing a lost cause when she saw one. “Can we just go?”


Darlene grinned at her as they headed out the door. “You have to admit it's exhilarating, though. Here we are in the big city, with nobody to tell us what to do.”

“Not all of us are in life for the adrenaline rush, Darlene.”

“Maybe not, but you still enjoy it, don’t you?”


“You know I do.”
--------

The club was noisy, crowded, and sweaty. No one was completely sober, although by 2:00 am Sandi and Darlene were closer than most.


Or at least, Darlene had thought they were closer than most.


“Ahem.”

Sandi only looked up briefly, but it was enough for Darlene to confirm that her eyes were glazed over. She went over to get her friend. “Come on, we’re going home.”

Sandi struggled a little. “I don’t think your friend wants to leave.”


Darlene looked at the man for the first time. She hadn’t done anything but process that he was a complete stranger, but when she looked at him closer, she noticed that he seemed a bit… off.

He was very pale, with bright eyes that nearly glowed in the low light of the club. His features were very sharp and he spoke with an odd accent she couldn’t quite put a finger on.


“Look, I don’t know who you are, but my friend is three sheets to the wind right now. It’s my job to get her home safe and keep creeps from taking advantage of her.” Creeps like you, was the subtext and it was obvious that he caught it.


His eyes glowed a little more. “You don’t want to take your friend home.”

She laughed. “What are you trying to do, hypnotize me? That’s not gonna work. We’re leaving.”



She walked out, half-supporting Sandi, who spoke woozily just as they were leaving the club. “I only had… two… drinksh.”

“Really?”



“Complet… Completely sober. Promish.”

“When I found you, you were making out with a complete stranger.”



Sandi’s brow furrowed. “That… that doesn’t sound like me.”  She was starting to sound a little more coherent, but Darlene figured it would take a little while for her to sober up.

Sandi leaned her head on Darlene’s shoulder. “Maybe I was drunk.”

“Then let’s get you home, where there’s water, painkillers, and everything else you need to make the hangover bearable.”



Neither girl noticed the strange blur that seemed to follow them home.

Author's Note: Dun dun DUN! At the beginning of this legacy, I was like, "I'm not going to do supernaturals. They're way too much work." Then I decided to send Darlene and Sandi to Bridgeport, and how do you Bridgeport without doing vampires? Besides, TwistedSmiley's supernatural plots were making me jealous. So... vampires. This special short thing will serve to introduce them. They will reappear in the main legacy, but I can't promise anything other than it'll be within this next generation.

Also, this part is very picture-heavy. Most of my posts are about two pages, just words, and approximately 12 pictures. This post is two and a half pages, just words, with 20 pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Bridgeport Vampires are almost all creeps, I thought everyone knew that. After reading the opening three lines, I was sure it was going to be Darlene in trouble by the end of the chapter..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridgeport vampires are super-creepy. Darlene might get in trouble yet, but she's not very susceptible to vampire persuasion. I came up with some lore for that, but I'm not sure if/when I'll work it in.

      Delete
  2. That's a cool idea to introduce your supernatural lore through a side series. And Darlene is rocking that outfit \m/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene appreciates the compliment. She would like to point out that her shoes match.

      Delete