Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Generation 1, Chapter 15 - The Wedding


Part of Lee really couldn't believe he was here. It seemed like Sam had been a baby only a few days ago. Now he was an adult… and he was getting married.

The venue was pretty. Sam and Kaylynn had arranged it all. He hadn’t even known it was happening until this morning. That was probably terrible, but these days he didn’t really know about anything. He only kept track of what day it was so that he knew when he could go visit Nyx on Saturday.

But the wedding venue was beautiful, and he had no doubt that the wedding would be, too. He sighed. If only Nyx was here to see this.

--------


“Getting cold feet?” Dylan asked as Sam fidgeted with his bow tie.


Sam shot him a disbelieving glance. “Hardly. Just uncomfortable in this penguin suit. Perk of being an artist: I’ll never be forced to dress in uncomfortable clothes for fancy occasions.”

“Unless you get famous. Then you’ll have to dress up in uncomfortable clothes and attend gallery openings all the time.”

Sam groaned. “Thanks for ruining my dreams, little brother.”


“Well, if I don't get to make a best man speech, it's the least I can do. But don't think about it too much. It's time for you to get married!”

Sam grinned, a little nervous, but mostly excited. He’d been looking forward to this day for years. Now the moment was almost here.

--------


“You look beautiful!”


Kaylynn smiled at her soon-to-be-sister-in-law. She’d been a little bit apprehensive about letting her fiance’s fourteen-year-old sister help her get ready, but Ayla was sweet, enthusiastic, and excellent at doing makeup. “So do you.”

Ayla grinned. “I know.”

She was a little bit overconfident, but in a teenage girl that was better than the opposite, surely. Kaylynn didn’t really know. She’d been a teenage girl, yes, but hardly a typical one. She’d never had many female friends, and her only sister had just turned five.


“So are you ready? I think it’s time.”

She thought about it, then nodded. Technically, she’d been alive for almost twenty years, but Sam was the only person who made her feel that way. She’d been ready to marry him since that first kiss.

--------


The ceremony was beautiful, if a bit non-traditional. Everyone was dressed up, but there were no wedding attendants. Kaylynn walked down the aisle alone, and the couple had written their own vows. It didn’t really matter. Everyone thought it was perfect anyway. The couple had only invited family. Neither of them had a lot of close friends (Darlene and Sandi had already left for Bridgeport), and they wanted a quiet wedding.


After the ceremony, the guests broke up into little groups. The adults took turns congratulating the happy couple.


Dylan stood quietly in a corner on his phone.

Kaylynn's niece Michelle was talking to her brother William, the middle child in her massive family.

The oldest brother, Parker, played his guitar all through the reception, providing much appreciated free entertainment. Kaylynn was touched.

Ayla had found a secluded spot to flirt with Kaylynn's youngest brother, Tony. The poor boy was blushing and stuttering for all he was worth, but he seemed to be enjoying it, so she didn't intervene.


Eventually, the guests all trickled away. Sam smiled at Kaylynn.

“Want to have our first dance as husband and wife?”

She laughed. “Sam, it's pitch-black out here, and there isn't any music.”

“We can dance to the light of the stars. And isn't there a song about something like this?”


He started humming a ballad she vaguely recognized. It could have been a beautiful romantic moment. Unfortunately, he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Kaylynn swayed with him anyway, smiling. She loved him, quirks and all. She was happy. He was happy.

Whatever else they might be, tonight they were happy.

Author's Note: There's a lot this chapter. First, before I forget, thanks to TwistedSmiley for the link to the wedding venue used in this chapter, which can be found here

Allow me to state the obvious: wedding parties are a huge pain. I don't usually throw them, but I wanted  to give Sam and Kaylynn a nice send-off. The wedding was very pretty. Not pictured is the proposal, which took place in Kaylynn's kitchen immediately after she peed on the waffles she made because she was starving. Then my active household almost didn't get there in time for the party. My town has some weird aging glitch, so Tony wasn't a teen yet, which meant I had to cut the part where he and Ayla flirt. All of the guests left as soon as the ceremony was over, so I couldn't get any pictures with them after that. The very worst thing, though: immediately after the ceremony, I checked on Nyx to make sure she was okay on the lot by herself. Guess what I saw in her wish cue? A mid-life crisis wish: Flirt with Kaylynn. Yes, you saw that right. My founder rolled a wish to flirt with her step-son's new wife immediately after the wedding. I tried to take a screenshot, but my computer wouldn't cooperate with me, so you'll have to take my word for it. I promise it really happened.

Here is a CAS photo of Sam as a YA. His traits will be up on the Traits and Rolls page shortly. I'm also going to add Lifetime Wishes because I forgot about it when I first made the page, probably because Lee and Nyx are never going to get theirs.


And here is teenage Ayla. I am very pleased with the faces of our heir candidates. They're both cute, and they're not face clones of either parent or each other.


I hope you enjoyed this wedding chapter! Next time we'll see how Ayla faces high school.

4 comments:

  1. I'm just happy that Kaylynn and Sam found a venue that they liked for their wedding *reaches for tissues* (and that you accepted my frequent posting challenge on the MTS forum *reaches for my plot notepads*)

    I stage more than half of my shots, even if it's just a single pose in a group of people. When it comes to special events like weddings its almost 100% staged to stop the game doing unusual things.

    I'm finding Ayla to be one of those people that can be endearing and annoying at the same time, so I look forward to seeing how she copes with high school, (and how high school copes with her!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never back down from a challenge! Actually that's a lie, but I wasn't going to back down from this challenge.

      I stage almost all of my shots, but I couldn't get everyone I wanted in the right place. I should have just made a separate save and put everyone I needed in the same household, but I thought I could do it in my main save. Lesson learned.

      Ayla is equal parts annoying and endearing, yes. High school might not be ready for the drama she'll unleash!

      Delete
  2. All sims parties are a huge pain in the butt! I try to avoid them... and let my sims marry in the bathroom like everyone else.
    The pics came out great though and the venue is quite fancy, might have to keep that in mind if I ever want something classier than a toilet wedding. Now it's time for ze babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't stand Sim parties. I'm dreading the day I roll Partier. I think I could manage A Party to Remember, but a party every week? No way.

      They don't have any babies yet, but if they have one I promise I'll post pictures.

      Delete