Sunday, July 14, 2019

Chapter 3.11 - Temper, Temper


“I really don’t know how you do it.”


Madeline smiled at her friend as they watched their toddlers play. “It gets easier. You have to remember, I’ve been doing this for a lot longer than you have.”


Lucy sighed. “Yes, but Karl and I split parenting straight down the middle, and I can still barely handle Jasmin. You have five, and you effectively do it by yourself. I just don’t understand how you get anything done.”


“Well, I think Alaric deserves a lot more credit than you’re giving him. Jonah’s old enough to help with the younger ones now too. And of course I pack most of them off to school or daycare for the day…”


Lucy cut her off. “Can’t you just take the compliment, Madeline? You are accomplishing an amazing feat, raising that many children. And I really appreciate you suggesting this playdate. It’s nice to be able to relax a little for a couple of hours, and of course to meet Felix.”


Madeline just nodded, smiling. It was nice to feel like she was being recognized for her accomplishments. She wasn’t really used to it. Still, she enjoyed the feeling of being praised, of sitting with her best friend, and of watching her youngest play.

Then her phone rang, and she got a sinking feeling even before she realized who was calling.

--------


Willow had been really looking forward to her first day of school. Unfortunately, it hadn’t been going too well so far.

“What did you just say?”


“I said your sister’s crazy! My brother said so!”


“My sister’s not crazy!”


“Then why does she talk to people who aren’t there? Only crazy people do that!”


Willow didn’t really even know what to say. She just saw red. “Don’t talk about my sister like that!”

Then she hit him. Hard.



About fifteen minutes later, Willow was sitting outside the principal’s office, along with the kid she’d fought and, surprisingly, her sister Amanda. They had all been silent thus far, and it was driving Willow up the wall. She looked over at Amanda.


“Are you going to thank me?”

“What would I thank you for?”


“I was defending your honor!”


Amanda sighed. “Do you really think I care what people say about me?”

That stopped Willow in her tracks. “Why wouldn’t you?”

Amanda gave her a look that suggested she was too stupid to live, and Willow frowned. She didn’t really get it. How could anyone not care what other people thought about them?

Eventually, Amanda was sent back to class and the parents of Willow and the other kid were called to pick them up. They were told that they were being let off with a warning, but if either of them fought again, it would mean a suspension.


When Willow’s mom got there, it was clear she was shocked. “You got in a fight?”

“Yes.”

“... Why?”

“He was talking bad about Amanda! I couldn’t just let him do that!”



“But… you hit him?”

“Yeah.”



“Willow, fighting… fighting isn’t ladylike.”


“Well, then it’s a good thing I don’t really want to be a lady.”

Madeline gave a long-suffering sigh and resolved to get Alaric to talk to their daughter when he got home.

--------


“John, please. What’s the problem this time?”


“The problem is that you still can’t control your children! My son informs me that your daughter got in a fight today.”

“Which one?”

“Does it really matter?”



“I suppose not. But again, they’re kids, John! They’re going to do what they want! I’ve tried to explain the campaign to them, but most of them don’t even know what their best behavior is, let alone how to be on it.”


“Well, you have to do something about it.” He paused. “Of course, I imagine it is hard for you to control your family, seeing as you can’t even control yourself most of the time.”


Alaric stood stock-still. “What are you insinuating?”


“Two of your children were conceived while one of the parents was married to someone else, Alaric.”


“How many times do I have to tell you Jonah isn’t mine-”


“Do you really think anyone would believe that? I think it’s the most ridiculously unbelievable lie you’ve ever come up with, which shocks me, because you’re usually good at it. But of course, I suppose your brain flies right out of your head when confronted with attractive female coworkers.”


“You have no right-”


“Don’t I? But don’t worry, Alaric. Your position is safe. I checked. It’s too late for me to drop you as a running mate. And I’m determined to win, even if it means I drag you up with me.”

--------


“You’re sure you have to go?”

“Yes, Jonah. This is one of the biggest campaign fundraisers this year. I really have to go.”



“And you’re sure I can’t go with you?”

“I’m sure. You know how my dad feels about your family. He may support our relationship in public, but…”



“I’m far too scandalous for a sweet, pure, innocent daughter like yourself. But why do you have to listen to your dad?”

Because I know what he’d do if I didn’t, was the thought that ran through her head, but instead of giving voice to it, she changed the subject. “Why are you so determined to come with me?”



“I don’t want to let you out of my sight when you’re all dressed up like that. You know how these campaign fundraisers are. I worry someone might come and steal you away.”


“Don’t be ridiculous! You know perfectly well that these are the most boring parties known to simkind. The youngest man there will probably be my father.”

He shrugged. “Maybe I just really want you here with me.”


Jenny smiled and gave him a quick kiss. “That’s sweet, but I really do have to go.”


Jonah sighed as she left. He was always a little afraid that she wouldn’t come back.

--------


“I don’t really know if I trust you on this.”

Maxwell shrugged. “Well, it’s this or believing that I’m a figment of your imagination. Which would you prefer?”



“I wish you wouldn’t do that. You know how I feel about this.”

“Anyway, before we do this, there are a few rules to go over. Don’t forget them. One, don’t ever give them your full name. Two, don’t lie to them. Three, don’t make them any promises. If you do any of those things, I can’t help you.”



Amanda nodded. “Don’t tell them my name, don’t lie, don’t make promises. I think I can do that.”


Still, she was looking around the clearing skeptically. It appeared to be completely deserted, but Maxwell was right. Either he was telling the truth, or she was crazy. She desperately wanted it to be the first option. But still… how could she believe in fairies?


“Then step into the circle.”


The minute she did so, she felt it. Suddenly everything outside the clearing felt very far away. The trees at her back were blurry, and the sound of the rain was muted. The skies above her were sunny and clear, and the temperature had risen noticeably. And perhaps most miraculously, there was a sim standing in the middle of the empty clearing.


Or… maybe not a sim. Certainly Amanda had never seen a sim who looked like that. But when the woman spoke, Amanda understood her.

“Child, what are you doing here?”


Suddenly Maxwell stepped into the clearing, seeming to shimmer into existence at the edge of the trees. “She’s with me.”


The woman laughed lightly. It was a lovely sound, but her voice was cold. “So the child of the forest has a new pet, does he? Well, I imagine this one can hardly turn out worse than the last one.”


Amanda flinched slightly at the ugly words, but Maxwell was already jumping to her defense. “And I would imagine that Summer’s daughter could come to all sorts of harm so far from home.”


“Aren’t you protective? Peace, sprite. I have no plans to steal your pet. I must say, though, why bring it here? It cannot even begin to parse the beauty of our world, unless you intend to return to court.”


“I seem to be parsing it just fine at the moment.”


The winged woman gasped, looking almost afraid. “You… can’t… you haven’t been blessed!” She turned back to Maxwell. “Sprite, you found yourself a Seer?”


He smirked, and Amanda got the feeling that he’d just won some sort of battle. “She’s quite the prize, isn’t she? I was lucky to find her while she was still young. You know how age cheapens the Sight.”


The woman shook her head. “Everyone will know about this. You know you will have to give her up.”


Maxwell inclined his head. “But imagine the honor I will receive for having found her.”

When they left the clearing, Amanda still didn’t really know what was going on, but she had an idea that it would have been a lot easier if she was just imagining things.

Author's Note: Another chapter over and done with! We're starting to focus more on the kids, but  Alaric and Madeline still have a few chapters worth of plot left in them. I hope you enjoyed meeting Willow. The introductions of the other kids will follow pretty quickly, since from Amanda on they're very close in age. I'm going to be stretching my attempt at a realistic timeline as far as it will possibly go to get in some good chapters with Serena and Felix as teens before Jonah ages up, but I'm determined to have all heir candidates get as close to an equal shot as I can give them. Next chapter: a new character, a celebration, and some preteen angst!

8 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw the fairy ring I was... probably more excited than I should've been, tbh. I was curious how you would fit imaginary friends into your world, but I wasn't expecting a connection to fairies! I've actually thought before that imaginary friends kind of remind me of changelings in a weird way, so... I like what you did here a lot. ;)

    Let's see... I'm a big fan of Willow's personality, very fiery! But I'm just a fan of siblings who care about each other in general. I can't wait to get to know the other kids better. Also, I like how you've tied everything happening with the kids (and how chaotic they already are, lol) into Alaric's campaign. It makes sense that his kids being a little strange would impact his work.

    Great chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I got more excited than I probably should have making the fairy ring, so... My thought process went something along the lines of: move to Midnight Hollow, Amanda has an imaginary friend, there's a Tim Burton movie in here somewhere, Alice in Wonderland, invisible people, fairies. I've also had that same thought about imaginary friends and I love fairies.

      I love Willow. I love them all, but Willow probably has the most defined personality in my head. She really does care about her family, that's a big thing with her. The kids are a lot, and it just made sense for Alaric to be affected by it. So much of what he does is about reputation, after all.

      Delete
  2. I can't tell if Maxwell is being protective, or if he is the legacy's new super villian.. Clearly he has ulterior motives, stepping into someone else's domain and threatening them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll just have to see... Technically speaking, though, she was on his territory. You're certainly right that there are ulterior motives, however. He has quite an interesting story.

      Delete
  3. I like Willow. Protective siblings are cool and besides, what is school life without getting into a fight.
    Curious to see if Serena and Felix also have some kind of supernatural story (it would fit them I think), otherwise I predict it will be very hard for the other kids to win over IFs and Fairies :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I will say that three kids other than Amanda will encounter supernatural stories at some point, but you'll have to see who and when.

      Delete
  4. I love whatever just happened here, especially the idea that the imaginary friends have more power than they seem to. They way they come out with traits like mean spirited, evil and insane I always figured the were demons.

    The fairy sounds like a beeyotch. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't think I've ever had an imaginary friend who came out with a pleasant personality. I didn't think about going that route.

      She kind of is.

      Delete