Saturday, July 27, 2019

Willow - An Explanation

Conor,


I thought about texting you, but I decided this was too important for that. Then I thought I should talk to you in person, but… I know that if I did that, I would break down. So I’m writing you a letter. First of all, in case you never speak to me again, I want you to know that you are one of the most important people in my life. I want to be with you. I want to explore the world with you more than I’ve ever wanted anything. But there’s something more important than what I want, and that’s what my family needs. I can’t go with you, Conor, as much as I want to. My family needs me here. Felix needs me here. My parents refuse to support him. They could, but they won’t, because in my father’s words, “If he wants to make adult decisions, he has to take adult responsibility.” And while I understand the sentiment, he won’t even have graduated high school by the time the baby gets here. He can’t support himself on his part-time salary, let alone Marissa and the baby. So, I volunteered to help him. As soon as I graduate, instead of using my savings to help pay for our trip, I’m going to get a house, get a job at the stadium, and help support Felix and his family. They’re my family, too. You understand, don’t you? You were the one who first told me that families should support each other. That they should have each other’s backs. I know now that you were talking about your pack, but I think of my family that way. They are my pack, and if I can make their lives easier, I will. I know that you’ll be upset when you read this, but Felix is your friend too. I can’t imagine that you want him to suffer, and if I don’t do this, he will. He can’t shoulder the burden of a new baby alone, and no one else will help him. It has to be me. So please - go on without me. Go everywhere. Make memories. Take some pictures, if you can. Tell me everything when you get back. And remember, this isn’t forever. Someday, Felix won’t need me here, and then, if you forgive me, I would love to come find you. We can still see the world together. We just have to wait a little longer.


With love,

Willow

Author's Note: This short serves as both a look into Willow's head and a little exposition to get to where we will be when the next generation starts. Serena and Felix's letters also help to show how they get from point A to point B, since the youngest three of this generation especially were still very far from YA at the end of chapter 20. This is another format, like Amanda's journal, that we might see more of, since Willow may very well write to Conor if she (or Felix, actually) wins heir. Next time, Serena and Alphonse email at cross-purposes.

3 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I feel so much respect for Willow after reading this? Like, she's not a real person, but I relate to what she's saying so strongly, and you wrote this with an amazing level of genuineness. Made me feel Things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willow has so much character and motivation in my head, I wanted to get some of it down here. I'm really glad you got that, and thank you so much for saying that. Writing this made me pretty emotional.

      Delete
  2. And now I'm leaning Willow...

    ReplyDelete