Thursday, July 25, 2019

Jonah - A Glimpse of the Past

Dear Jenny,


I don’t know why you aren’t returning my texts, but I’ve made a decision. Until you start using reasonable modern-day methods of communication, I will pass you long and complicated notes that convey everything I could just put into one, instantaneous, text message.


Sincerely, 
Jonah


--------


Dear Jonah,


You’re ridiculous. I haven’t been answering your texts because my dad took my phone, did you ever consider that? Apparently I spend too much time on it for a middle-schooler. I would have told you that if you were willing to wait until lunch, but you couldn’t just do that. And what’s this about modern-day methods of communication? You’re the one who decided to write me a letter! You really took that letter-writing lesson in English yesterday seriously.


Your friend,
Jenny


--------


Dear Jenny,


I didn’t think about your dad taking your phone because my first conclusion when you didn’t answer my texts was that you had been kidnapped by vampires. When it was clear that you hadn’t, because you’re in school today, I assumed you were ignoring me. If neither of those options are true (although I still think you could have been kidnapped and replaced with a carefully disguised vampire), then it does make sense that your dad took your phone. He doesn’t like that you have friends, and he especially doesn’t like that you’re friends with me. There’s no way you spend too much time on it, because everyone else I know spends at least twice the amount of time on their phones as you do. And if I had waited for lunch, then we wouldn’t be having this illuminating exchange of correspondence. Usually, I like to think that I’m at least as modern as you are, but do you remember what Mrs. Prince said, don’t you? Letter-writing is a lost art! We should write letters on every possible occasion, including to find out why our friends aren’t answering texts.


Your dearest friend,
Jonah


--------


Dear Jonah,


I probably would have assumed that you had been kidnapped by vampires if you didn’t answer my texts, too, but I can’t believe you would ever think I was ignoring you. If these letters have shown anything, it’s that I’ll respond to you even when you use the most ridiculously outdated format available to you. I also think that if I was kidnapped by vampires, they wouldn’t bother to send anyone to pretend to be me. School is too boring for any vampire to be forced to suffer through. But, yes, my dad took my phone. I think you’re being unfair to him, though. He doesn’t mind that I have friends, he just thinks that family should come first. I know I don’t spend that much time on my phone, but my dad thinks it should only be for emergencies. You seem to really like this whole letter-writing thing, but I don’t know… it’s just too much writing for me. My hand is starting to cramp up.


Your slightly exasperated friend,
Jenny


--------


Dear Jenny,


Speaking of vampires, SuperCon is coming to town next month. Well, not to town, exactly, but it’s coming to Riverview, and my mom has a job there at the same time as the con, so she offered to drive me down. You should come too! I’m glad that you wouldn’t ignore me. I would never ignore you, either. You’re my absolute favorite person to talk to. You forgot about the part where your dad hates me as a person. Maybe he does want you to have friends, but he definitely doesn’t want you to be friends with me. Every time I go over to your house, he glowers at me until I feel like I’m about the size of an ant. If you don’t like writing, then don’t write as much as you have been. It’s a pretty simple solution.


Your favorite friend,
Jonah


--------


Dear Jonah,


I’d love to go to SuperCon. Who else is coming? You’re my favorite person to talk to, too. I can’t imagine ever choosing not to speak to you. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree about my dad. He’s not as bad as you’ve made him sound. And look, I didn’t write as much.


Your most concise friend,
Jenny


--------


Dear Jenny,


I was actually thinking it would be just the two of us. Maybe even like a date?

Jonah


--------


Dear Jonah,


I would actually love that.


Jenny

Author's Note: That's it for Jonah, so hopefully you see what these will look like. I've written the first three already, and I can tell you that they'll vary in length from about half a page to maybe two pages. (This one is about a page and a half, for reference). Also, I opened the old Sandi and Darlene story today and remembered the days when my chapters were only about two pages, with less than twenty pictures apiece. They've almost doubled in average length since then, and I think it would be accurate to say that I have at least thirty pictures a chapter. It's a little crazy. Anyway, tune in next time (hopefully tomorrow) to see Amanda's innermost thoughts about turning Maxwell human.

8 comments:

  1. This. Was. So. Sweet. But, just know that if you're planning some kind of epic twist where Jenny DOES turn out to be a vampire, I'm onto you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal was to put you in a sugar coma before the other letters play with your emotions, to lull you into complacency. But you may be putting ideas in my head here...

      Delete
  2. I still don't know who to vote for. Halp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Wagaturtle on this one, I see you suggest that Waga may be responsible for putting ideas into your head, however I suggest the skullduggery and shenanigans afoot behind the curtain has been planned well in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'll have you know that I only have an outline in place for the next generation. Ideas are still marinating for specific shenanigans.

      Delete
  4. I bet Jonah rolled "second chance" and that his grown up story will be about moving on from his beloved Jenny.

    ReplyDelete