Thursday, July 25, 2019

Chapter 3.19 - Supportive Siblings


“So she really just wants to get to know me!” Serena smiled at Alphonse, hoping that he would echo her happiness and relief.



Instead he was shaking his head. “I can’t believe you lied to me.”



“Alphonse, come on. Aren’t you happy for me?”



“No, because you lied about it! I thought we were friends! I thought you would at least tell me the truth when you made bad decisions, not just lie to my face to appease me!”



Serena looked at Alphonse incredulously. “Oh, like you’re a paragon of honesty. Was it your cat that got sick last week when you couldn’t go to that concert with me? Or how about the time your nonexistent aunt broke her leg? And when was it that you had to go out for your mom’s birthday? Because that one definitely got suspicious when you used it three times this year. What’ll it be next time? Will you have to wash your hair?”



He stared at her, shocked and a little sad. “Serena, that’s… I’d tell you if I could, but I really can’t.”

She was surprised and angry to find herself tearing up. “Why not? Despite what you seem to think, I tell you everything. Everything! And you still can’t bring yourself to tell me the truth, even when I directly confront you about it.”

“Serena…”





“No, Alphonse. I’m done.”


--------



“Hey, Will.”



“Hey, Felix. What’s up?”


“So, I’m going to this party tonight…”

“Okay…”

“And the girl I like is going to be there…”

“Okay…”

“And I want your advice on how to approach her.”




Willow grinned. “I don’t know why you’re coming to me about this, but I’ll do my best.”



Felix tried to look innocent. “Well, you’re a girl, aren’t you? And if I talked to Serena, every teenager in Midnight Hollow would know by this evening.”



Willow laughed a little. “That’s probably true. Okay, so if you really want to charm her, go for the slow approach.”

“I only have a few hours!”

“Not that slow, but you can’t just go straight up to her and ask her to go out with you, especially not at a party. Start out by paying particular attention to her. Be respectful, but flirt a little bit. Flash her that smile of yours. If she’s receptive-”




“How do I know if she’s receptive?”



“If she’s smiling at you, if she flirts back. You can tell the difference between flirting and being nice, can’t you?”

“I think so.”

“Look, if she isn’t into it, you’ll know as long as you’re paying attention. If she’s receptive, ask her to dance. If it flows right, you can confess your feelings. You probably don’t want to do it in a crowded room, though, just in case she rejects you. If that happens, don’t push it. You don’t want to be that person who tries too hard to get with someone who isn’t into them.”




“You’re… kind of a romance guru, you know that?”



Willow rolled her eyes. “I’m a girl, doofus. I was just thinking about what I’d want to happen, and what I’ve overheard girls at the training center talking about. I would hope that you would do things the right way anyway, but there’s no shame in asking for advice.”



Felix groaned. “I should have told you I was asking for a friend.”

“I wouldn’t have believed you.”


“No, but it would have been a little less humiliating.”


--------



“I just don’t know what to do!”

Amanda snorted. “And you think I do?”

“Look, you’re supposed to be my wise older sister, who gives me useful, sagely advice.”




“Sagely?”



“It was a PSAT word, but you’re missing the point!”



“I get it, but how am I supposed to give you good advice when I’m mired up in my own problems?”



“How about we take turns?”



“In that case, I’ll go first. Maxwell is saying that the only way to save myself from a life as a slave to the fairy court is to turn him human, which means effectively sentencing him to death. I don’t want to do that to him, but I also don’t want to be a slave to the fairies for the rest of my life.”



Serena blinked. “Okay, I don’t understand half of what you just said, but from what I did get is: if he wants to be human, who are you to stop him? I admit I don’t know the whole story here, but it seems to me that immortality would really start to suck after a while. If he wants to be human, let him be human. Of course, you don’t have to take my advice…”



“But it does help. So give me your problems.”



“Well, Alphonse really hates the idea of me talking to my mom, but he hates that I kept it from him even more. But at the same time, he’s definitely keeping secrets from me, so I think that he’s being a hypocrite.”



“I think you need to lay down an ultimatum. Say that if he can’t be honest with you, he doesn’t have any right to give you advice or be your friend.”


“See? We can give each other advice!”

Amanda laughed. “I think we both have a lot to think about…”


--------



“We’re Nine Lives, thank you all for listening!”

As Felix walked off of the makeshift stage, he felt the adrenaline rush that he always got after gigs. Tonight, though, it was particularly strong. Tonight he was going to talk to Marissa.


He’d been harboring a crush on her for years, but lately he’d been feeling brave. He had to know if she felt the same way about him. He hadn’t quite figured out what he’d do if she didn’t, but no one had ever accused Felix of being a great long-term planner. 


He thought about what Willow had said as he walked towards Marissa and her gaggle of friends.



“Hey Marissa, what did you think of our show?” He gave her his most dazzling grin, knowing it was his best feature.



“It was great. You looked awesome up there on stage. I felt like I could almost see into the future where you’re a rock star.” She smiled, bit her lip a little, and leaned towards him.



“That’s quite a compliment.”



“You deserve it.” She then did that thing where she looked up at Felix through her eyelashes, and he was almost positive that she was flirting with him. He decided to take a gamble.



“Now that I’m not playing anymore, do you want to dance with me?”



“I’d love that.”



She was a good dancer. Felix definitely preferred playing in the band to being out on the dance floor, but he thought he was okay.


“This is really nice.” He almost had to shout to be heard over the pounding bass of the stereo. Someone’s parents had shelled out for surround-sound, and someone had turned it up way too loud.

“It is, isn’t it?”

“Do you want to go somewhere a little quieter?” Felix held his breath, waiting for the answer and hoping he hadn’t sounded like a creep asking the question.

To his relief, Marissa smiled. “I know the perfect place.”




When he’d imagined this moment, he’d pictured them going outside to confess their feelings. He’d envisioned a first kiss under the stars. But instead, Marissa led him upstairs, to what looked like a guest bedroom.



“This is much better, isn’t it?”



He nodded, because it was better. It was quieter and more private, if not the romantic setting of his dreams. “This is great. Listen, Marissa, I wanted to ask you something.”



Her eyes widened. “What?”



“I… really like you. And, if you like me back… I was wondering if you’d be my girlfriend?” He sped through the last part in a nervous rush, wanting to hear her answer and terrified of it at the same time.



“You… want me to be your girlfriend? You, Felix ‘Lucky’ Doe, are asking me to be your girlfriend?”



“Um… yes? Why are you so surprised? I’ve had a crush on you for ages.”



She continued to look shocked. “Of course I’ll be your girlfriend! You’re easily the hottest guy at school, you should know that.”



“I really didn’t. And anyway, I wouldn’t think…” that mattered that much, was how he intended to finish the sentence, but Marissa had stepped far enough into his personal space that he couldn’t really think anymore.



“Aw… you’re so modest.” She put her hands on his shoulders, and he thought he might be able to get high on her perfume.



“How about I show you how I feel.”



Felix didn’t do much more thinking at all that night.

Author's Note: I really hate the way Marissa's hair clips through her face when she smiles, but whatever. Just one more chapter, which is just a click away!

6 comments:

  1. So things are all starting to come together... I'm impatient to read the next one, but I did want to leave a little comment, so: the sibling convos were super sweet (I bet Willow enjoyed the "family time!"), and I don't know if I trust Odessa /or/ Marissa yet, but I definitely like Marissa's look. Conventionally attractive sims are always nice, but I like it when a sim has some quirks that make their appearance unique. :)

    Also, Serena said exactly what I was thinking about the whole Maxwell predicament!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willow did enjoy the family time. She and Felix get along better than anyone else in the family. I agree with you about Marissa's look. It's nice to have something to make them look interesting.

      Serena just had to say what we were all thinking.

      Delete
  2. I love sibling interaction! They only really have each other in the family with their parents being so, um, special.
    I can't believe Willow's advice worked, somehow I expected Felix to fail miserably. But then again, it's probably a mistake to expect Felix to fail miserably at anything. I don't trust Marissa either though. And Odessa is definitely not to be trusted, that much is already known!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. The siblings should probably rely on each other more than they do.
      If Felix wasn't Felix, he probably would have failed miserably, but since he is... Marissa is complicated, but you should never trust Odessa.

      Delete
  3. I vote for not Felix as heir. He's too goodlooking, his life is too charmed. Unless you're planning a HUGE fall from grace for him, I vote literally anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always a fall from grace for characters like that...

      Delete